Thursday, October 10, 2013

Jersey

So all my staff arrived today from the US. Unpacking was slightly less problematic than packing was back in New York City. The only problem I ran into was that the storage unit I rented was a bit smaller than the one in Manhattan. And while there wasn't much space left in that one, this one is packed absolutely full top to bottom. In fact, to get everything to fit I actually had to take some clothes and a couple of small boxes back to the flat. The price for storage is roughly the same as it was in Manhattan, the problem is that storage units tend to be smaller over here. I have the biggest one that's available (and the second biggest size that they have on the site) and it's only 7 x 8 x 8 feet tall. And of course the said to be shipped internationally by a 20 foot container that was only half full, because it works out cheaper that way. Crazy. One big difference between here in New York was the guy who delivered the shipping container; the delivery driver here was a couple of hours early, but was happy to wait until my movers came to unload it. Then again, that's not too surprising since he was paid to wait – no skin off his nose. The container truck driver in Manhattan was a real piece of work; a union man from New Jersey who obviously aspired to be a character on the Sopranos. He was three hours late delivering the container and then tried to insist that he should charge over time because he was going to be late for his next delivery! When I tried to point out the absurdity of him charging me for his lateness, he really could not understand the contradiction. He said, and I quote,"I dunno nuttin'' 'bout dat, all I know is somebody's gotta pay fur muh overtime".

And people wonder why Jersey's f@#ked.

No comments:

Post a Comment